We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Design Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of mechanical design principles, experience using SolidWorks, and proficiency in Design for Experimentation (DOE) and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) methodologies. They will also have excellent analytical skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
BURN is working to create a world where cooking positively impacts all life on earth by producing the world’s most efficient biomass, liquid fuel, and electric cookstoves.
BURN is the largest vertically integrated modern cookstove company in the world, providing world-class R&D, manufacturing, and carbon offset projects from our HQ in Kenya and across 10 countries in Africa.
Our team – half of whom are women – produces and sells over 200,000 stoves per month at our solar-powered facility in Kenya. The company was founded by CEO Peter Scott, who is recognised as the global leader in cookstove commercialisation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptual and detailed design of clean-burning cookstoves and accessories for East Africa using SolidWorks.
- Research and developing manufacturing processes including designing tools to bring the product into production.
- Fabrication of prototypes, including sheet metal forming, 3d printing and others
- Testing concepts and prototypes in the lab and field
- Conduct DOEs to optimize product performance and manufacturability.
- Implement DFM principles to ensure products are designed for efficient and cost-effective manufacturing.
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to ensure that products meet all requirements.
- Prepare presentations and reports on design projects.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or a related field.
- 2+ years of experience using SolidWorks.
- Proficiency in DOE and DFM methodologies.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.