Serves as the primary support for the finance functions of Pathfinder country offices. Ensures that all field financial activities are managed and administered according to Pathfinder and donor regulations and policies. Assists with financial capacity building and development provided to country offices. Focuses on operational excellence within accounting, financial reporting, and compliance activities. Evaluates, develops and implements operational best practices in areas including accounting, budgeting, financial reporting and compliance, and training. Builds constructive and effective relationships with team members and clients.
Monitoring, Tracking and Reporting:
- Tracks key indicators and the processing of monthly country office reporting, including the receipt, review recording, reconciliation, and consolidation of all income, expenses, and balance sheet items.
- Reviews monthly project spending performance for accuracy, allowability, availability of project funds, adequate supporting documentation, and proper authorization.
- Assists with monitoring all matters that may affect the financial integrity of Pathfinder programs or the organization and assists in investigations in response to allegations of improper conduct.
- Assists with ensuring standard financial systems and controls are established and maintained to provide appropriate level of controls over the organization’s resources.
- Assists with the development and Implementation of effective tools, systems, policies, and procedures that ensure consistent compliance.
- Ensures compliance with GAAP, Pathfinder, and donor policies.
- Reviews monthly spending performance of country offices to ensure compliance with Pathfinder and donor policies.
Process and Tools Continuous Improvement:
- Assists with the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures in a continuous effort to improve and harmonize country office financial reporting and compliance.
Financial, Resource, and Risk Management:
- Provides oversight on financial transactions.
- Conducts monthly financial reviews and analysis to ensure compliance with Pathfinder and client requirements.
- Supports country finance staff to effectively record and document transactions, following Pathfinder’s policies and processes.
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Facilitates identification of issues and resolutions to mitigate risks.
Financial Capacity Building and Development:
- Assists with training country finance staff on all Pathfinder financial policies and procedures, internal controls, and best practices.
- Collects and organizes information from countries in preparation for the annual external audit and/or program specific audit.
Required Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance or Business Management, or related field, or equivalent, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies.
- 4 years’ professional experience working in project accounting and financial management, drafting guidance documents, and designing procedures and internal controls.
- Work experience with a multinational organization.
- Agency and Donor Rules and Regulations: Foundational knowledge of USAID, and other governmental and nongovernmental agencies’ rules and regulations.
- Financial Accounting Systems Implementation: Foundational knowledge of financial accounting systems implementation at a project or program management level
Preferred Competence and Work Experience:
- Prefer: Work experience in international Finance and Accounting in an organization of at least $50M in revenue with multiple international offices
- Prefer: Work experience with Serenic/Microsoft Dynamics NAV financial systems
- Prefer: Work experience with government grants and contracts
- Financial Systems: Foundational knowledge of operations, financial management, organization, and planning, as well as operational knowledge of major accounting, reporting and finance functions. Proven ability to work with others to prepare budgets.
- Financial Reporting: Ability to prepare and develop required financial reports.
- PC Tools: Foundational knowledge of finance and accounting software applications to include systems, data, and spreadsheets.
- Audit Process: Foundational knowledge of the audit system, process, and tools.
- Compliance: Foundational knowledge of compliance standards and guidelines.
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.