To contribute to the purpose of transforming lives, giving dignity and expanding opportunities for wealth creation, this role is responsible for keeping the Bank’s activities within the Equity guidelines, Kenya regulations and ethical expectations. The role covers various duties including monitoring business operations and reporting infractions, reviewing company policies for possible risks and liabilities and researching legal requirements for new initiatives.
The role reports administratively to the Managing Director – Equity Bank Kenya Limited (EBKL). To enhance independence in the role, direct reporting is to the Board Compliance Committees and the Equity Group Chief Risk Officer.
Key internal stakeholders:
- Regional General Managers, BGDMs,
- Board members of EBKL
- Coverage RMs, Treasury sales and Compliance teams
- Group Compliance & Risk colleagues and Peers in the Kenya Executive Committee (ExCo)
- Direct reports – Compliance Managers and their teams.
Key external stakeholders
- Regulators including key Central Bank and government officials
- EBKL Clients
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Defining the necessary level of knowledge on existing and emerging regulatory compliance requirements across the organization.
- Developing the annual compliance work plan that reflects the organization’s unique characteristics.
- Overseeing and monitoring the implementation of the compliance program.
- Providing strategic direction to the management team on compliance.
- Preparing and presenting clear and concise compliance reports to the Board.
- Interacting with regulators on compliance issues.
- Coordinating efforts related to audits and reviews.
- Developing policies and programs that encourage managers and employees to report suspected fraud and other improprieties, without fear of retaliation.
- Coordinating internal compliance review and monitoring activities, including periodic reviews of departments.
- Independently investigating and acting on matters related to compliance.
- Liaise with other departmental heads to ensure that all business operations are in line with business policies.
- Advise the top management on business operations relating to investment, risks and any other policy development.
- Keeping abreast of economic and financial changes across the country, region and world that may affect the business and clients we maintain,
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders in the Bank, the Client base – new and potential
- Analyze internal business systems to ensure compliance with industry regulations and ethical standards.
- Create, modify, update and implement the company’s policies.
- Develop Compliance adherence management strategies.
- Design control systems to address cases of violation of internal business policies.
- Design ongoing training programs for employees of the business and ensure their implementation, monitor their effectiveness
Key competencies for the role
- Credibility as a subject matter expert and experience of dealing with issues that have a high impact at all levels of the organization
- Experience of working with key country level regulators and industry associations
- Knowledge of local regulatory requirements and obligations and the ability to identify emerging compliance issues and themes
- An ability to influence senior business leaders on all compliance risk-related matters affecting the business. The individual should have the ability to independently challenge, when needed, while at the same time being supportive and solution-based and not being perceived as obstructive
- An ability to be “hands on” and “in the trenches” with the direct team, while also bringing a sense of strategic vision and a global sensibility to the function
- Ability to navigate and negotiate through conflicting demands to maintain focus on priority objectives while ensuring key stakeholders’ needs are met
- Strong team leadership, communication, interpersonal and management skills, with a track record of leading through change and the ability to effectively communicate the strategic vision to various stakeholder groups
- Effective negotiation skills, a proactive and “no surprises” approach in communicating issues and strength in sustaining independent views. Strong presentation and relationship management and influencing skills are essential
- The ability to thrive and execute in a complex environment
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree and/or Banking qualifications ACIB / AKIB. Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- CPA /ACCA qualifications required
- Strong technical knowledge of compliance regulations and requirements; professional training /qualifications in Compliance /Risk areas will be an added advantage
- 10 years banking working experience with at least 7 years at team lead level in Compliance and/ or Risk roles
- Proficiency in use of financial services business systems
- Cross border work experience is an added advantage
: Manager with Direct Reports
: Day Job