Job Title: Legal Manager – Advisory
Reports To: Group Head of Legal – Advisory
The Legal Manager will play a pivotal role in advancing Equity’s commitment to social responsibility and community development, particularly in Africa. This position is dedicated to supporting the organization’s not-for-profit Foundation, Equity Afia, overseeing legal matters related to various strategic partnerships, social initiatives and providing legal expertise to commercial business units aligned with agriculture, environment, and healthcare. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that all legal aspects of the social engine initiatives and related commercial activities are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Advice and Drafting: Providing legal guidance, advice and support to Equity Group entities including Equity Group Foundation (EGF), Equity Afia, Group Strategy – Sustainability and Strategic Partnerships, ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and ethical standards, collaborating with stakeholders to structure, negotiate, draft and review grant and partnership agreements, Memoranda of Understanding and other legal documents.
· Social Impact Initiatives: Overseeing legal aspects of social impact programs and initiatives, ensuring alignment with the Equity’s, mission, vision, values and objectives; advising on their development and implementation.
· Commercial Business Alignment: Providing legal support for flagship projects, commercial and social engine initiatives that align with Equity’s social impact goals.
· Regulatory Compliance: Staying abreast of relevant laws and regulations related to social impact, sustainability, philanthropy, and foundation activities in the regions of operation; ensuring Equity’s activities are in compliance with all applicable legal requirements.
· Risk Management: Anticipating issues, identifying and assessing legal risks associated with social impact initiatives and commercial projects; developing and implementing risk mitigation strategies and policies.
· Stakeholder Engagement: Building and maintaining strong relationships with internal stakeholders, external partners, and regulatory bodies involved in social impact and EGF support.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or equivalent law degree from a recognized institution.
- Admission to the bar and a current practicing certificate.
- A minimum of 10 years of post-qualification experience.
- Experience working in or with not-for-profit organizations, corporate social responsibility, sustainability fields and an understanding of the legal landscape in East and Central will be an added advantage.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Strong legal drafting, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Excellent understanding of social impact, community development, and philanthropy.
- Ability to communicate complex legal issues to non-legal stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with diverse stakeholders.
- Proven ability to manage complex legal matters and provide strategic legal advice.
- Effective project management and organizational skills.
- High level of integrity and commitment to ethical standards.
- Adaptability and ability to navigate complex legal and business environments and adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and diverse stakeholders.
: Equity Group Holdings
: Day Job
: Jan 10, 2024, 3:47:15 PM