Digital Associate Mombasa Kenya
Title: Digital Associate
Program: BlueBiz Program
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Location: Mombasa – with travel to Kilifi, Tana River, Kwale, Lamu and Nairobi.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of businesses and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics, and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
TechnoServe is implementing the 3-year BlueBiz program, seeking to advance skills development in technical, enterprise development, financial literacy, and soft skills that young people need to launch, operate and grow microenterprises in the “Blue Economy”. For the purpose of this project, the Blue Economy is the sustainable use of ocean resources for economic growth, improved livelihoods and jobs while preserving the health of ocean ecosystems.
Blue Biz is designed to sustainably respond to key constraints that young women and men face in starting and growing microenterprises in Kenya’s Blue Economy by affecting change at the systems level through engaging and catalyzing local actors. Constraints addressed include skills development, access to financial solutions and appropriate technology, links to markets, and enhanced networks and leadership, with specific plans tailored to the local context, core issues, and solutions identified by youth leadership. The project will increase the skills and abilities of local stakeholders to support the development of sustainable business models while partners supply additional insight and technical knowledge of the project’s environmental components
BlueBiz will work in Kenya’s five riparian coastal counties, Mombasa, Kwale, Kilifi, Tana River, and Lamu, engaging with at least four local partners in each county to contextualize the project activities with partners’ local insight into communities’ unique needs and interests. TechnoServe will provide training to local business service providers, who will then support businesses to improve performance and become more commercially viable. Severely disadvantaged and marginalized parts of the focus counties underserved by financial service infrastructure are a priority segment. .
Blue Biz anticipates the development and deployment of digital mechanisms and tools to reach the targeted 15,000 young persons and is seeking to recruit a Digital Associate whose key responsibility will be to digital enablement strategies and tools, digitize program delivery mechanisms, and develop the BlueBiz Digital Toolbox.
Reporting to the Senior Program Manager, the Digital Associate will be accountable for day-to-day management of all digital learning platforms. The role holder will collaborate closely with all project delivery functions to identify systems and processes that can be ‘digitized’ on the program including – applications management and curriculum content, training delivery, and data collection and monitoring and evaluation, and communication within the program and for local organizations. In addition, the holder will offer advisory support to local organizations regarding ideal digital tools to enhance their systems’ efficiency through the utilization of the most effective digital products. Of prime interest is the holder’s ability to understand how young people in the coastal economy obtain, digest and act on information – through digital means and translate this information into measurable behavior change.
Thus, it is anticipated that the role holder will keep in touch with industry trends, best practices, and reporting metrics and KPIs, and possess expertise in planning, executing, and optimizing program delivery.
Digital Associate Mombasa Kenya
Programmatic Technical Support
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assess digital enablement capabilities and gaps on the program, local partners and program participants (young men and women in the coastal economy)
- Develop and execute digital learning platforms including the program Apps, video promotion, mobile and digital campaigns to engage and train the program beneficiaries.
- Develop digital strategies that align with the program’s objectives, ensuring a seamless integration of technology into curriculum content and program delivery.
- Digitize program delivery, transforming traditional teaching methods into effective digital learning experiences, and continuously improve the digital learning platforms.
- Create and maintain the BlueBiz Digital Toolbox, curating a collection of digital tools and resources that enhance program effectiveness.
- Keep current with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies relevant to digital education, ensuring the program remains innovative and competitive.
- Monitor and analyze key performance indicators (KPIs) and reporting metrics to assess the effectiveness of digital strategies, making data-driven decisions to optimize program delivery.
- Draw upon previous experience to plan, execute, and optimize program delivery, fostering a culture of continuous improvement within the digital learning platforms.
- Assume day-to-day management responsibilities for all digital learning platforms, ensuring their smooth operation and troubleshooting any issues as they arise.
- Collaborate closely with all program departments to digitize curriculum content, training delivery, and data collection processes, fostering cross-functional teamwork.
- Provide advisory support to local organizations on selecting and implementing the most suitable digital tools to enhance their systems’ efficiency and align with program goals.
- Engage with private sector partners to co-create a tailored digital toolbox, designed to meet the specific needs of program participants and enhance their learning experiences.
- Work with the program communication function to develop digital materials and deployment strategies to maximize the project’s feasibility and impact messaging.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field (e.g. BBIT, digital marketing, e-commerce or similar) or with a minimum of 2 years in digital learning or marketing, or application of ICT for business, and a solid background in commonly used ICT programming languages.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, including apps functions, online learning, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Blog, TikTok, WhatsApp, USSD, etc.
- Practical knowledge of the e-learning, web, social media platform, digital advertising analytics including and understanding of how digital platforms can be best leveraged to meet business needs
- Ability to communicate outcomes and insights to non-digital experts
- Ability to measure and produce regular digital reports to influence the digital strategy and enhance beneficiaries’ learning.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Applicants should be quick learners who enjoy staying up to date with digital trends
- Strong interpersonal, communication and project management skills and ability to interact with internal and external clients
- Experienced in Microsoft Office Suite/Google Suite (including google sheets, google adwords) a must, MySQL, XAMP, Adobe CS6, HTML, CSS, database tools or similar will be an added advantage,
- Experience with various content management systems and platforms such as Drupal, WordPress or similar tools
- Experience with platforms, systems and applications like ;Marketing Cloud, Exact Target, Hootsuite and Meltwater or similar will be an added advantage
- Experience using Google Analytics or similar in search optimization and analyzing and presenting results including managing online advertising campaigns
- Knowledgeable on content creation in social media and video platforms
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability, and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515
Digital Associate Mombasa Kenya