- Date Posted January 8, 2024
- Location Kenya
- Category Business Analytics, Data Analyst, Data Science
- Expiration date–
- Experience 5 Years
- Gender Both
- Industry Data Analytics, Information Technology
- Qualification Degree
- Career Level Officer
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa. The company develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGO solar home systems are financed through affordable instalments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,800 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.9 million customers and more than 9 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to impact 20 million lives across Africa by 2025.
This position will be part of the Global Data team that is based across Uganda, Kenya, Nigeria, and Germany. You will report to the Head of Data and work closely with analysts and strategists across our nine African markets, as well as data scientists and engineers, product managers, UX designers, and software engineers on the global team. This is an incredible opportunity for a talented individual to join a high-performing team that is passionate about pioneering expanded financial services to off-grid customers at the base of the pyramid.
Key responsibilities will include working with market analysts and strategists to build dashboards, write queries to generate reports, and interpret their findings. You would also be responsible for working with the wider data team to design our data infrastructure with the needs and pain points of the data users in mind, and to inform prioritization of data projects based on real world impact. Additionally, you would help train and upskill analysts and data users throughout the markets, to ensure high quality, reliable, and insightful reporting.
Your work will make a meaningful impact by enabling EEA to continuously innovate on how we support our customers in their solar kit experience and repayment journey.
- Work with data and business intelligence analysts and strategists across nine countries and the global team to build dashboards and global reports to provide actionable insights, from leadership to the team on the ground.
- Provide training and support to analysts to understand the nuances of the data lake, build dashboards, and take advantage of existing reports and visualizations when appropriate.
- Work with data team to design and update data storage (ex. table design) to facilitate readability, performance, and reliability of queries and reporting pipelines.
- Provide training and up-skilling on technical topics, such as simple to advanced SQL querying techniques, to 50+ analysts and data users in our markets.
- Work with data team to coordinate and prioritize business requests, based on real-world impact.
- Be willing to get your hands dirty in taking deep-dives into various data sources to investigate data integrity issues and sources of discrepancies.
Knowledge and skills
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Strong SQL, comfortable writing queries, data processing scripts, and understanding data structures.
- Strong background in data visualization, preferably either Tableau, PowerBI.
- Keen eye for detail and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it.
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic analysis to impact decisions.
- Excellent communicator, able to work with analysts from several different cultures and backgrounds, as well as senior leaders within the organization.
- Willing to spend time in the field, to better understand how data are collected, as well as potential improvements to applications and tools to minimize threats to data integrity.
- Sense of adventure and willingness to dive in, think big, and execute with a team.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree.
- French, Portuguese, or Swahili is a plus.
- Data visualization and reporting in Tableau, PowerBI, Jupyter notebooks.
- Code and ETL in Python and R.
- AWS tools for data storage: RDS, Redshift, S3.
- Statistical analysis in R or python (scipy, stats, etc).
- Sprints and Scrums in JIRA.